Why attend the Flamenco Guitar Masterclass?
Discover the ultimate form of rhythmic expression.
Thomas Lorenzo will be holding two very intimate Flamenco guitar masterclasses in November in Melbourne. The first class is targeted at guitarists who can play guitar but have limited improvisational skills. They have played a nylon string guitar and are interested in how to play Flamenco on their own. The second class is targeted at more advanced guitar players who want to expand their improvisational skills in a Flamenco setting. In both classes you will learn Flamenco styles, rhythms, harmonic structures and techniques. You may choose to attend only one of the classes, but for those who want the full benefit of the masterclass we recommend attending both as the second class expands upon the content of the first one.
Flamenco masterclass 2 is now sold out!!!
What will you learn?
The Flamenco masterclass is designed to help you understand Flamenco, and bridge the gap between what you know and what you need to know to play Flamenco. You will be introduced to the authentic Flamenco styles (i.e. Buleria, Tangos, Solea and Alegria) and learn how incorporate these styles into your own playing. Thomas Lorenzo uses very practical and engaging live demonstrations to show you how you can start playing real Flamenco in no time with the skills you know.
After 30 years of playing and teaching Flamenco to students in both an academic and casual setting, Thomas has developed a system to learning Flamenco that allows aspiring players of all levels to achieve their goals in the shortest period of time. Don't miss out on this fabulous opportunity to learn from a true master in a live and interactive environment.
MASTER CLASS OVERVIEW
Master Class 2
- Impact intensity versus gradual
- Learn to play a full Buleria, Tangos, Solea and Alegria as a solo instrument or as rhythm
- Chord scale relationships in Alegrias, Bulerias, Tangos
- How to compose in modal harmony
- How create you own falsetas or solo improvisation
- Advanced harmonic structures in Bulerias
- Advanced harmonic structures in Tangos
- Advanced harmonic structures in Solea
- Advanced harmonic structures in Alegrias
Master Class 1
- What makes the flamenco sound , how to identify the styles
- Basic harmonic structures in Bulerias
- Basic harmonic structures in Tangos
- Basic harmonic structures in Alegrias
- Basic harmonic structures in Solea
- How chords are defined in Bulerias, Tangos, Alegrias and Solea
- Left and right hand techniques required
- The flamenco time signature in Tangos, Bulerias, Solea and Guajiras what you nee to know to understand it and flow in the groove
- How to develop a solid binary and tertiary rhythmic phrasing subdivision in flamenco styles
Where & When?
The two masterclasses will be held at the newly renovated Kathleen Syme Library in Carlton (Multi-purpose Room 1) 251 Faraday St, Carlton VIC. FREE street parking is available in the area after 6:30 pm and the nearest paid parking is at 217 Elgin St Carlton (for $8). If you are traveling by public transport, catch the University tram and get off at Melbourne Uni.
Book Online Now
Flamenco Guitar Masterclass 1
Where: Kathleen Syme Library
(Multi-purpose Room 1).
51 Faraday St, Carlton VIC.
About Thomas Lorenzo
Thomas Lorenzo is a world renowned and award-winning guitarist, composer and music educator. Thomas has released five solo instrumental albums in contemporary Jazz, Blues and Flamenco styles. His latest release Spanish Breeze was in the Top 50 JazzWeek World Music Album Charts in 2010. In addition, Thomas has a prolific musical education background. He graduated from the Berklee College of Music in Boston, and has taught and lectured in a number or significant musical institutions including Paul McCartney's Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts.
Currently Thomas teaches guitar and music in private tuition and group workshop settings. Although he comes from a deeply technical and theoretical background, Thomas' teaching method is very practical and is focused on helping individuals explore their innate musical talents and most importantly feel good about life.
Learn more and listen to Thomas' music